Regardless of their size, more and more companies are taking part in the implementation of an identity management system. The possibility of protecting their data as a company and having control over user access to information generates an environment of greater comfort, transparency and complete security in the management of IT.
An IAM (Identity and Access Management) strategy or solution is a technology that allows you to manage access to a company’s IT. It creates a series of user accounts that, depending on the configuration, will be able to know the indicated level of information.
Identity Management encompasses all products, services, applications, and databases that are part of a company. The generation of passwords, security protocols, certificates and more are controlled through it.
-Don’t miss this post: “WSO2 Identity Server, the next step in IAM solutions”-
In an environment in which information from different software has moved to the cloud and there are a large number of devices for users to access applications, these access control strategies become more than necessary. In this way, the company’s data protection is guaranteed and, with it, its future.
Identity Management Trends and Best Practices
Beyond the ability to control and manage a company’s access to IT, Identity Management is a complex strategy that, due to its progress, offers every day new trends and practices.
This is thanks to the fact that its operation involves not only the employees of a company but also customers, service providers or partners. This situation has led to the creation of more attractive solutions that provide quality services.
Below we will show the most important trends at the moment.
- Blockchain Identity: This new technology is giving a lot to talk about. The blockchain is, by far, one of the most promising strategies for Identity Management. It is based on the storage of information in “chains of blocks” that allow it not to be modified once it is verified. Its structure helps to ensure that data is stored equitably, without the need for intermediaries who may allow leaks, as is the case with servers usually used. Generally speaking, this is the main innovation of Blockchain Identity. As far as companies are concerned, they can use Blockchain to authenticate their users and all the information stored.
- Authentication system: A technology that is capable of creating identification is never enough. Authentication systems add a new level to IAM strategies, as they force users’ data to be verified each time they enter the company’s different applications and services. This new way of corroborating whether the data matches the accounts created initially is done through several steps that individually create procedures that authenticate IT login. This includes devices, data, and passwords, profiles, and applications that connect to the cloud and encompass not only employees but also suppliers and customers.
- Data protection for companies: The future growth of IAM systems depends on the secure protection of company data. This issue has been widely discussed and, through various regulations such as the GDPR, there has been a consensus that part of the new current trends is to ensure that personal and company information is a right.
- When you deploy advanced IAM systems, you’re not just looking to create secure access to IT. It is also planned that authorized persons will only handle a company’s internal information. In this way, a system is created that is capable of authenticating a secure income for the use of company data. This is expected to keep them protected from any external threat.
-This post might interest you!: The big challenges for CIOs about identity management-
- As most current IAM strategies are implemented to work in the cloud, the level of protection should serve as a filter to ensure that every trace or footprint left by users when logging into enterprise applications is erased, or that it does not even exist. There is a new trend that aspires to achieve so.
IAM strategies are a necessity for all businesses today. It doesn’t matter if they are large or small since the handling of internal information must always be protected.
Today’s trends point to the protection of personal and business data which, thanks to various discussions, aspires to become a law. This includes authentication systems and, more than anything else, the use of high-capacity technologies that promise much in this area such as Blockchain Identity.
If you are thinking of implementing your Identity and Access Management strategy, doing so with a suitable technology partner will make the process much more manageable. At Chakray we have a group of expert consultants who will solve all your doubts and support you before, during and after your implementation.