WSO2 Data Services Server, or WSO2 DSS, is a tool designed to integrate data stores, generate composite data views, and host data services. Today WSO2 Enterprise Integrator (WSO2 EI) adopts all functionalities, allowing the data handled by an enterprise organization to be accessible through the integration of legacy software, cloud services and data warehouses. One of its main advantages is that it allows the use of data from different formats and media without any inconvenience, even retaining the Enterprise Service Bus (BSE) architecture model already defined.
What is WSO2 Data Services Server?
WSO2 Data Services Server improves service-oriented architecture development by providing an easy-to-use platform for integrating data warehouses, creating composite data views, and hosting data services. It supports secure, managed access to data through federated data stores, data services transactions, and data transformation and validation using an agile, lightweight, developer-friendly development approach. It provides integration support, combining data from multiple sources into a single response or resource, and also supports grouped queries across data sources.
Data Services Server Features
WSO2 Data Services Server has these specific features:
- It allows the use of any data source, such as web services or REST resources. It supports as a data provision service any RDBMS, CSV, Excel, ODS, Cassandra, Google spreadsheets, RDF and web page. Supports OData v4 protocol for any data source RDBMS and Cassandra. Supported databases include MSSQL, DB2, Oracle, OpenEdge, TerraData, MySQL, PostgreSQL/EnterpriseDB, H2, Derby or any database with a JDBC controller. In addition, it allows the transfer of HTTP, HTTPS, JMS, SMTP and other data, including FTP, FTPS, SFTP and TCP via WSO2 Enterprise Service Bus.
- Agile development approach. WSO2 Data Services Server offers a declarative programming model to define services and resources and has a DSL based on XML without Java code.
- It favors the combination of data from multiple sources in a single response or resource and, at the same time, is a support for nested queries in all data sources.
- RESTful Data Access. WSO2 Data Services Server offers the possibility of generating a collection of REST resources for CRUD operations. Support for both JSON and XML media types. Secures resources with HTTP(S) Basic Auth integrated into enterprise identity systems (via WSO2 Identity Server).
- Secure and controlled access to data. Authentication, authorization, confidentiality, integrity and encryption with HTTP(S). Basic authentication, WS-Security, WS-Trust, WS-Secure Conversation, WS-Policy, WS-Policy Attachment and WS-Security Policy. Detailed authorization with XACML (through integration with WSO2 Enterprise Service Bus). Flexible regulation of the access frequency and IP of the source. Convenient configuration of WS-Security Policy for common security patterns and complete user management, including LDAP through integration with WSO2 IS.
- Services and access to transactional data. Transactions distributed through JMS and covering different data sources.
- Data transformation and validation. Transformation through XSLT and Xquery, built-in validators for standard data types, customizable validators through Java extensions and schema validation through integration with WSO2 ESB.
- High performance, high availability, scalability and stability. 100% streaming to deal with large volumes of data, very low latency for data access and distributed response cache to minimize access to the database. Horizontal scaling through clustering with stateless server architecture and long-term execution stability with low resource utilization.
- Lightweight, developer friendly and easy to implement. Declarative development with configuration instead of code, wizards for easy editing of data service and resource configurations and tool for automatic generation of CRUD operations/resources against existing database schemas. Allows flexible mapping of query responses to custom XML data formats, as well as easy to debug services with message tracking tools and interactive tests with TryIt capabilities. Automatic generation of WSDLs for services, as well as server customization by provisioning functions from any WSO2 middleware capability. WSO2 Data Services Server is integrated with SVN, Maven, Ant and other standard tools for development and deployment.
- Highly secure management and monitoring. Facilitates the collection and monitoring of standard access and performance statistics. It has JMX MBeans for monitoring and management of key metrics and integrates with WSO2 Business Activity Monitor for operational auditing and monitoring and management of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). On the other hand, it has flexible registration support with integration to the company’s registration systems and allows centralized configuration management in different environments with life cycles and versions through integration in the WSO2 Governance Registry.
How WSO2 Data Services Server can help you deploy in your business
Data integration is an essential part of a more global information integration process within an enterprise organization. Using WSO2 EI’s ESB profile for this, the integrated functionality facilitates the management of this integration scenario by decoupling data from the data source layer and exposing it as data services. In this way, data stored in several disparate data sources can be used.