For computers, mobile phones, tablets, and other similar electronic devices to work, a programming language is necessary that tells them the commands and allows them to complete different activities. There are several types and features of programming languages depending on their philosophy and objectives.
Throughout this post, we will reveal a detailed classification of programming languages, with their features and differences that distinguish them from each other. In addition, you will discover which is the best language for web programming. Are you ready? There is no time to lose.
What is a programming language?
A programming language consists of a vocabulary containing a set of grammatical rules intended to convey instructions to a computer or computing device to perform specific tasks.
Each programming language has a unique set of keywords along with a special syntax to organize the software’s instructions.
There are low-level and high-level programming languages which, although simple compared to human languages, are more complex than machine languages.
Low-level languages include assembly and machine languages. An assembly language contains a list of basic instructions and is much harder to read than a high-level language.
High-level languages, on the other hand, are designed to be easy to read and understand, allowing programmers to write source codes naturally, using logical words and symbols.
Throughout the evolution of computers, hundreds of different programming languages have been created for various types of development.
The field of programming is very wide, so the use of a particular language will depend on the objectives to be achieved. Logical, isn’t it?
The following activities can be performed:
- Programs and applications development.
- Artificial intelligence development.
- Database development.
- Video game development.
- Development of drivers and hardware interface.
- Internet and web pages development.
- Script development.
Differences between natural language and programming language
Natural language is the language spoken by people, while programming language is intended for machines. Both languages present important similarities, such as the differentiation they make between syntax and semantics, their purpose to communicate and the existence of a basic composition on both.
Generally speaking, there are several similarities and points in common, for example, the two types were created to communicate ideas, expressions, and instructions. However, it is also possible to identify some differences.
When it comes to the differences between natural language and programming language, it is worth noting that the latter is stricter and less tolerant than the former. This happens because human languages have a built-in redundancy that allows some ambiguity to be resolved using context.
On the other hand, programming languages have practically no redundancy, otherwise, it would be very easy to fall into ambiguity and not indicate the correct command.
The fact that programming languages are stricter in this regard is due to the fact that computers are very precise in the instructions they like to receive. In addition, machines do not have the ability to clarify the meaning of an expression as a human being would.
It is also essential that programming languages are fixed and closed to avoid confusion, while natural languages are open and allow combinations without the risk of making mistakes.
Because of these circumstances, programming languages are designed from the ground up by talented developers focused on not ruining the various functionalities, whether it’s controlling a robot, medical equipment, space machines or a Facebook game, for instance.
Main features of programming languages
The popularity of a programming language depends on the features and utilities it provides to programmers. The features that a programming language must have to stand out are the following:
- Simplicity: the language must offer clear and simple concepts that facilitate its learning and application, in a way that is simple to understand and maintain. Simplicity does not mean that it can be subtracted from the optimal power of functioning.
- Naturalness: this means that its application in the area for which it was designed must be done naturally, providing operators, structures and syntax for operators to work efficiently.
- Abstraction: it is the ability to define and use complicated structures or operations while ignoring some details, which influences writing ability.
- Efficiency: Programming languages must be translated and executed efficiently so as not to take up too much memory space or require too much time.
- Structuring: the language allows programmers to write their codes according to structured programming concepts, to avoid creating errors.
- Compactness: with this characteristic, it is possible to express operations concisely, without having to write too many details.
- Locality: refers to the codes concentrating on the part of the program with which you are working at a given time.
What is the best web programming language?
Web development can be done through different programming languages that allow you to build a site or design an application. Defining which is the best web programming language is complicated because it depends on several factors. However, the following options stand out:
- Java: multipurpose language that adjusts efficiently to web development.
- Go: This is a general purpose, flexible language that facilitates the creation of applications.
- Ruby on Rails: allows you to design web applications quickly.
- Python: it works in a wide variety of contexts and on the web has technical advantages.
Wait! Before we finish, we must talk about one of the best solutions that exist today (and no, it’s not an exaggeration) for your company, in order to achieve business integration and connectivity: WSO2. With this effective tool, you will achieve a very advantageous and competitive position in the market. Do not miss the opportunity to know more about it!
Do you need a business integration solution?
Discover the most effective solution of the market and learn how to implement WSO2 in your company.