In this post we will explain what BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation) is, but in order to understand it, we first need to understand what BPM (Business Process Management) is.
What is BPM?
The market is changing constantly and companies are increasingly under stress in relation to their reaction capabilities.
It is in this context where BPM appears as a process-based management skill; BPM is a skill related to modeling, automation, execution, control, measurement and optimization of the flow of a business’ activities in order to achieve company goals, involving systems, employees, customers and partners within and without the confines of the company.
By using this method, companies attempt to introduce process-based management as a practice that allows them to constantly improve and thereby meet the demands of the business and their customers.
The goals of BPM are:
- Attain or enhance business agility: Provide greater capabilities to an organization in order to adapt to changes in the environment through changes in its integrated processes.
- Achieving greater efficacy:Improve the capabilities of an organization in order to accomplish strategic or business objectives.
- Improve efficiency levels: Increase the degree of productivity in regard to quality, costs and times.
What is BPMN?
Now that we have understood what BPM is, we can go a step further and focus on BPMN.
Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) is a standardized graphical representation designed to represent a sequence of activities that make the business processes of an organization and the messages that flow between the participants and each of the activities. This representation, based on the “Flow Chart” technique allows for the generation of a Business Process Diagram (BPD) which is used as the sole reference during BPM.
BPMN offers a common language for business and technical personnel, and therefore, all parties involved can communicate processes clearly, fully and efficiently.
Why is it important to model using BPMN?
Modeling using BPMN provides a set of advantages that make it paramount during BPM, among which we can mention:
- It is an international process modeling standard accepted by the community.
- It is independent from any other process modeling method.
- Builds a standardized bridge in order to reduce the gap between business processes and their implementation.
- Allows processes to be modeled in a unified and standardized manner, facilitating their comprehension for everyone within an organization.
The BPMN specification provides support for Business Process modeling and a method for the exchange of BPMN Process definitions (understanding of model and diagram) between different tools. The purpose of this specification is to enable portability between process definitions so that users can take definitions from processes created in one setting and use them in another. BPMN is focused solely on supporting Business Process modeling concepts.
Smart Analytics: The smart way to profit from Big Data and IoT
Big Data and IoT are revolutionizing the IT of businesses Thanks to Smart Analytics we